Monday, May 22, 2017

BREASTFEEDING JOURNAL



July 15th, 2015-
My breastfeeding journey started with the birth of my first son in October 2012. I had a cesarean birth that was pretty traumatic, however my breastfeeding experience was awesome! Thankfully  I had an over supply issue. I learned how to work through the over supply in the early days following birth, and my milk supply soon stabilized at about six weeks post partum. I returned to work after what is now known as the fourth trimester, and done well with pumping at work on a very structured schedule. My son was successful with breast milk via the bottle while I was working. I breastfed him until he semi self weaned at 14 months. I helped to lead the weaning, and looking back I stopped because of peer pressure from family and friends.

 Fast forward to December 2014, I gave birth to my hypnobaby via VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean). I currently have a great support system, I know breast is best, and I have educated myself regarding extended breastfeeding. This second time around I have a great supply, I pump at work, and I have a beautiful freezer stash. Post Partum I took placenta capsules, hydrated/nourished my body well, and limited stress to ensure my supply would be great! I began to pump as soon as I became engorged as I did with my first son around 4 days post partum. My son is now 7 months old, and I dont supplement with any formula. I feel very confident in my journey thus far, as well as the future breastfeeding. I look forward to breastfeeding until child led weaning takes place. I will NOT lead at all this time!

October 29th, 2015-
It has now been ten months, and I am breastfeeding Braxton (my second son) with expressed milk when I am away from working. I breast feed him at home. He has not received ANY formula. I had doubt that I would make it this long the second time around, so many people told me that it would be easier the second time around. I knew I was dedicated and determined, however I still didn't know if I was up for the challenge of pumping. I also had to throw away a ton of my frozen stash while I was building my freezer stash while on maternity leave (this is a very funny/crazy/sad story). Braxton nibbles on some table food, but is still enjoying about 20 ounces of breast milk everyday (expressed). What a great feeling! I am providing all of the nutrients my child needs by giving him my milk. I am so happy to be still breast feeding, and can not wait to see what the future holds! Month eleven is approaching! One year here we come!


December 15th 2015-
Braxton has reached his first birthday milestone. He is now drinking water from a toddler cup, and we are using bottles for his breast milk. He is a distracted nursling, but it is so much fun to watch him perform gymnurstics while feeding. He still gets most of his nutrition from breast milk, while eating complimentary foods for fun. I love the white milky coating on his tongue. He still has the sweet baby's breath. I enjoy our night time and morning feedings, I enjoy holding him close, I enjoy his sweet eyes gazing into mine when he is nursing. He still takes one of my fingers inside of his hand, and grasps it just enough to let me know this is such a special time between just the two of us. I can't believe we have almost finished our freezer stash. Sooooo, I will take his lead, and will continue to breastfeed as long as he would like. I am so glad we reached this milestone! He has had breast milk exclusively this first year of his life! I look forward to extended nursing into toddlerhood. Breastfeeding this far has been absolutely amazing for the both of us. Braxton is a happy healthy breastfed one year old!



No comments:

Post a Comment